On blue oil cloth, 70" x 55", delineating the streets, railways, and other details of Dallas as it began its transformation from a ranching and farming center into an industrial center. "Surveyed and Drawn [by] F. E. Butterfield and C. M. Rundlett" and printed by the "St. Louis Democrat Lith. & Print Co." The map contains the printed signatures of ten Dallas officials, including Mayor William S. Cabell, who signed below the statement, "This map was adopted as the official map of the city of Dallas by an ordinance passed and approved. Dec. 22d 1874." The images of three city fathers also appear. The map is moderately faded throughout and is worn in places, especially around the edges and corners. It is still stored in its original 56" dark olive tube (the tube ends are missing). The map shows the Trinity River to the west, Oakland to the east, Mill Creek to the south, and Dallas Branch to the north. Of special interest is the intersection of the Houston and Texas Central railway (running north and south) and the Texas and Pacific railway (running east and west), both built only a few years earlier. These railways were responsible for Dallas' earliest and fastest growth. Dallas was granted a town charter in 1856. By 1875, it had a population of 7,500 (compared with 1.3 million today). Estimate: $3,000 - $5,000. Heritage Auctions October 22-23, 2010, Texana & Western Americana Auction #6046, Lot #42110.